GEOCARBON aims at designing a coordinated Global Carbon Observation and Analysis System, addressing the climate targets of the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) toward building a Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS) for carbon. Specific objectives are:
1. Provide an aggregated set of harmonized global carbon data (CO2 and CH4) and information (integrating the land, ocean, atmosphere and human dimension)
2. Develop improved Carbon Cycle Data Assimilation Systems (CCDAS)
3. Define the specifications for an operational Global Carbon Observing System
4. Provide improved regional carbon budgets of Amazon and Central Africa
5. Provide comprehensive and synthetic information on the annual sources and sinks of CO2 and CH4 for the globe and for large ocean and land regions
6. Provide an economic assessment of the value of an enhanced Global Carbon Observing System
7. Strengthen the effectiveness of the global Carbon Community participation in the GEO system.
The achievements of each of the specific objectives will represent key advancements. Another major advancement will be the translation of the scientific knowledge into policy relevant information. This will allow decision makers timely addressing mitigation and adaptation strategies and verification process of greenhouse gas emissions and sinks.